April 3-14, 2023
Prerequisites and Course Preparation
Experience and Skills to Succeed in CLASS
All prospective participants must complete the CLASS Self-Assessment. Before submitting an application, you must be able to answer “yes” to most of these questions.
|Completed Your Self Assessment?|
|Apply for CLASS Advanced|
To be successful, participants must be familiar with:
- Using the command line (Linux/Unix) for day-to-day activities
- Programming or scripting
- Deploying and running containers (Docker, Singularity, or similar)
- Github/Git commands
In addition, participants must also have at least six months of experience with at least one cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure, OpenStack, etc.), including deploying a virtual machine, creating a virtual private cloud, provisioning storage accounts, and utilizing identity and access management.
Participants should have some experience supporting computational and data-intensive research and utilizing cloud computing, but this is not required. Specifically, the participant should have experience in a majority of the following areas:
- Worked on a research computing project (either directly or indirectly).
- Developed or helped develop a research computing workflow or have automated the operation or administration of computing systems.
- Assisted researchers in troubleshooting performance, configuration, and other technical issues.
Note: Given the diversity of the backgrounds in the research computing and data profession, the required background and skills is not a strict set of prerequisites but rather represents many of the skills and experiences needed to be successful. Please reach out with questions on whether the CLASS Advanced is a good fit for your needs and skill level.
Submit your applications today!
SPRING COURSE INFORMATION | PREREQUISITES AND COURSE PREPARATION | PROGRAM FEES AND REGISTRATION