Cloud-based Platform for Student Success
Educators are powerful people doing important, life-changing things. Canvas doesn’t get in the way of that—it just makes those important, life-changing things easier to do and easier to spread around.
Canvas streamlines all the digital tools and content that teachers and students love, for a simpler and more connected learning experience. Our Internet2 NET+ program partners with Instructure to meet the needs of our higher education membership within the learning management system and research space and beyond.
NET+ Canvas was designed in collaboration with educators and has been proven to meet the needs of the Internet2 community. Internet2 NET+ Canvas offers a customized evaluation and ramping process and streamlined contracting with a common click-through agreement developed and vetted by numerous university counsels and Internet2. The Internet2-Instructure NET+ partnership enables institutions to move rapidly through the LMS evaluation process, allowing for faster adoption of a superior learning platform.
Canvas was designed for the cloud and that means no versions, no upgrades, no migrations and no inconvenient down times. Canvas will always be up-to-date with the latest features, bug fixes and security enhancements. The Internet2 NET+ offering includes a specialized test instance and custom pilot and trial terms.
Instructure hosts Canvas on the cloud-computing infrastructure provided by the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) and fully redundant storage infrastructure of the Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3). Amazon cloud infrastructure provides a highly available, scalable, and reliable platform.
Eliminates the time and expense of procuring, setting up, configuring and maintaining your own servers.
Provisions resources automatically for superior performance during peak usage. A common complaint with competing systems is they go down when usage spikes during finals or other high demand periods. With automated peak load management, additional server capacity is added automatically as system activity increases.
Service Availability and Reliability
Canvas comes with a 99.9% uptime guarantee, which is contractually agreed upon between Instructure and Internet2 in the Service Level Agreement. In addition, Canvas provides data protection through data replication, backup/restore and disaster recovery procedures at no additional charge.
Provides the latest security patches, fixes and third-part compatibility updates in real-time with no administrative burden.
Ease of Use
A familiar, intuitive interface means most users already have the skills they need to navigate, learn and use Canvas. The NET+ Canvas offering includes a custom repository of end user oriented documentation and training material developed by the participating universities, Instructure and Internet2.
Students and faculty have convenient access to the Canvas system, using their standard campus login credentials. Canvas supports Single Sign-On (SSO) through several types of federated identity management systems, including SAML2/Shibboleth, LDAP, CAS and Active Directory. Instructure is a member of InCommon and is a Service Provider.
Allows institutions and instructors to use the web tools that they want. Integration of Google Drive, a wiki, or many other third-party systems is easy using the Canvas open API, LTI, RSS or other integration methods. Beyond giving institutions the flexibility to develop their own integrations, NET+ Canvas will include current or planned integrations with other Internet2 NET+ services and the Internet2 research and education network.
Canvas provides all the features you expect from a modern learning platform to support a variety of teaching styles.
Users can receive Canvas notifications via Facebook, SMS text messaging, email and other communication channels.
Canvas includes free mobile applications: SpeedGrader mobile and Canvas iOS. SpeedGrader mobile for the iPad lets instructors quickly review and grade assignments. The Canvas mobile app keeps users connected with the ability to view grades, class schedules, files, send and receive messages, participate in discussions and post video and audio comments.
Makes using multimedia easy by allowing you to access and insert audio, video, text, images and more during all learning contact point. Even directly recorded video or audio to leave interactive student feedback.
Built-in Learning Analytics makes keeping track of student progress easy.
Align Learning Outcomes with rubrics for institution-wide initiatives such as accreditation.
Breeze through grading in half the time while providing rich feedback on learning. With SpeedGrader for iPad (provided at no additional cost) even grading on the go is easy.
Accessibility, Compliance, and FERPA
Canvas is fully compliant with FERPA and with Sections 504 and 508 Accessibility Standards, including support for screen readers such as JAWS and NVDA. Canvas adheres to the latest ARIA specifications, avoids problematic content (like Flash) and even converts math equations to MathML automatically
Pricing for NET+ Canvas is based on a one-time implementation fee and on annual subscription fees calculated by multiplying an institution’s student FTE count by a tiered annual per-FTE subscription fee. Universities interested in subscribing should provide a reference to any published (IPEDS, university website, etc.) student FTE count to justify their tier and to calculate the price. See the canvas fee table.
Internet2 Member Benefits
In addition to discounted subscription fees, Internet2 higher education member institutions are eligible for these special NET+ Canvas benefits:
- Early adopter incentive
- Discounted rates on professional services
- Customized support packages at discounted rates
- Two free passes to InstructureCon, the annual Canvas users conference, the first year of your agreement
- Waterfall pricing*
*As more institutions subscribe to NET+ Canvas, additional benefits will be added to the program.
Ready to get started using NET+ Canvas learning management platform for your institution? You’ll need to get some information together, as outlined in the following steps, to help us prepare a Pricing Proposal.
Also, you may want to review the Enterprise Customer Agreement (ECA) to understand some of the information we need in the application process. This document is available upon request to eligible subscribers.
1. Determine your eligibility
Institutions need to be Internet2 Higher Education members in order to receive special features and pricing.
2. Determine your pricing tier
The annual pricing of the Internet2 NET+ Canvas service is based on annual subscription fees calculated by multiplying an institution’s FTE count by a tiered annual per-FTE subscription fee. The institutions FTE count determines the tier used for pricing
TIER 1 2 3 4 5 6 FTE Count Up to
You’ll need to select your organization’s tier on the form. See the Canvas Fees Table for more information.
3. Determine whether your institution wishes to add a pilot system, additional storage, custom URL, or customized training.
- An institution can have a Canvas Pilot for a flat rate of $7,500 please see pricing for additional information.
- Additional 500 MB of storage per FTE is available at $0.50 per FTE. The annual Canvas subscription fees for a client institution’s account include 500 MB of storage per FTE.
- Add a custom/vanity URL to your Canvas site fro $1,500.
- Customized Training onsite $3,000 per day plus travel or online at $250.00/hr.
4. Are any special considerations required?
Does your institution require special considerations due to state law or regulations? Are there any mandated limitations on renewal periods? You’ll need to indicate this on the form.
5. Gather contact information for the required Canvas service roles:
- CIO/Senior information technology officer – This is your organization’s senior information technology officer, typically the CIO.
- Application submitter – The submitter of the application form will receive the submission confirmation email and will be the point of contact for confirmation of details or clarification.
- General information contacts – The general information contacts are the LMS Administrators and a few faculty members who are very involved with Canvas across the institution.
- Status information contacts – The Status information contacts are the individuals who will receive correspondence from Instructure about updates, outages, and other issues related to customer support and the helpdesk.
- Data Security & Privacy contact – The Data Security & Privacy contact is responsible for FERPA and privacy in Canvas affecting the institution.
6. Work with the Instructure representative and the Internet2 Program Manager.
The Instructure representative and the Internet2 Program Manager will work with you to prepare a Pricing Proposal.
Eligible Subscribers: Internet2 Higher Education Members Sponsors: University of Washington Email: email@example.com Contact: Matthew Buss
- American University
- Auburn University
- Ball State University
- Bay Path University
- Baylor University
- Bradley University
- Brown University
- Bucks County Community College
- California Polytechnic State University – San Luis Obispo
- California State University – Channel Islands
- California State University – Los Angeles
- California State University – Northridge
- California State University – Office of the Chancellor
- California State University – Sacramento
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Case Western Reserve University
- Champlain College
- Chapman University
- Claremont Graduate University
- Clark Atlanta University
- Clemson University
- Colorado College
- Colorado School of Mines
- Columbia University
- Cornell University
- Dartmouth College
- East Carolina University
- Eastern Michigan University
- Emory University
- Fort Lewis College
- Franklin & Marshall College
- Georgetown University
- Guilford College
- Humboldt State University
- John Carroll University
- Kansas State University
- Keck Graduate Institute
- Keene State College
- Kent State University – Main Campus
- La Salle University
- Lasell College
- Longwood University
- Manhattan School of Music
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Michigan Technological University
- Middlebury College
- Missouri University of Science and Technology
- MIT (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- New Mexico State University – Main Campus
- Northeastern University
- Northern Kentucky University
- Northwestern University
- Oklahoma State University – Main Campus
- Queens University of Charlotte
- Rice University
- Rider University
- Saint Louis University
- San Diego State University
- San Jose State University
- School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Sonoma State University
- Southern Methodist University
- Stanford University
- Teachers College – Columbia University
- Temple University
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama – Huntsville
- University of California – Berkeley
- University of California – Davis
- University of California – Hastings College of the Law
- University of California – Irvine
- University of California – Los Angeles
- University of California – Merced
- University of California – San Diego
- University of California – Santa Cruz
- University of Central Florida
- University of Chicago
- University of Colorado – Boulder
- University of Colorado – Colorado Springs
- University of Colorado – Denver
- University of Delaware
- University of Denver
- University of Kansas
- University of Kentucky
- University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
- University of Maryland – College Park
- University of Missouri – Columbia
- University of Missouri – Kansas City
- University of Missouri – Saint Louis
- University of Nevada – Las Vegas
- University of Nevada – Reno
- University of New Hampshire
- University of North Carolina – Charlotte
- University of North Carolina – Greensboro
- University of Oklahoma – Norman Campus
- University of Oregon
- University of Pittsburgh – Pittsburgh Campus
- University of South Florida
- University of Tennessee
- University of Tennessee – Chattanooga
- University of Tennessee-Martin
- University of Utah
- University of Washington
- University of Wyoming
- University System of New Hampshire, Office of the Chancellor
- Utah State University
- Wake Forest University
- Washington University in Saint Louis
- Wayne State University
- Western Carolina University
- Williams College
- Wingate University
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
- Yale University
We want to hear from you.