Let’s Celebrate 2021 by the Numbers!
By Maya Gurarie, Digital Experience Specialist
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
As we approach the New Year, it’s time to reflect on the past 12 months. We didn’t anticipate a global pandemic spanning nearly two years. Yet here we are managing hybrid work schedules for staff and virtual conferences for the community. As many aspects of our events went online, we rose to the challenge. We adapted Internet2 and then dealt with the impacts to our 484 member organizations as well.
Our community is the focus of everything we do. We pivoted from hosting in-person events to offering those resources online. The good news is that our members responded in a big way—through giving webinar presentations, facilitating training sessions, and cheering us on in social media. These interactions fit within our mission of empowering the research and education community. It’s great getting to know our community in new ways, and we’ve listed some highlights below by the numbers.
Webinars for the Community
- Internet2 hosted 90 webinars, workshops, training sessions, week-long CAMPS, and TechEXtra presentations.
- These virtual events attracted over 21,000 registered participants in 2021.
Popular Website Pages
- We recorded 936,000 page views to Internet2.edu, and 373,000 page views to InCommon.org throughout the year.
- The News posts represented the fifth most popular page on the website, with 7,700 page views. The blogs featured updates about Infrastructure and Advanced Networking, NSF grants for research computing and data, the NET+ program, and the Community Anchor Program (CAP).
- Through the InCommon Federation, we expanded eduroam and 859 organizations are now using this service. The eduroam page had 39,700 views.
- We shared how the National Institutes of Health started requiring multi-factor authentication. Our experts answered your questions about Baseline Expectations 2, which reached educational institutions nationwide. Finally, we engaged nearly 1,400 community members with the Identity and Access Management (IAM) Online monthly webinars.
- In Q3, we launched an I2 Online YouTube channel to showcase key presentations and training sessions. Now it has 43 videos with over 1,000 views and growing!
- Check out short videos from Hannah Short, Ajay Kurani, Chris Wilkinson, and Karl Newell about a variety of Internet2 services including CAMP, NGI, and CLASS.
Social Media Channels
- Our Facebook page has 2,883 followers, which is an 11% increase from last year. We like you too!
- Our Twitter page has 6,490 followers, which is a 2% increase from last year. Tag us on Twitter: @Internet2, @InCommonUS and @internet2CAP.
- LinkedIn has 4,389 followers, and we’d love to add you to our network.
- Internet2 has 2,460 members on Slack, with a 12% increase in just the last month. We’re excited to be part of your (growing) Slack directories!
- The Speed Read newsletter reaches 7,824 people every month with timely updates. Learn about upcoming events, news highlights, and technology solutions that affect the research and education community. Sign up today!
- We are planning on holding the Internet2 Technology Exchange in 2022 from December 5-8 in Denver, CO. Stay tuned for more news on TechEX22 and future event plans!
- We look forward to meeting you on a variety of platforms, and hopefully in person next year! If you have any feedback, please let us know your thoughts.