Catching Up on the Cloud: Spring 2022
By Sean O'Brien, Internet2 NET+ Program Director
Internet2 NET+ and Other Cloud Program Updates
Working with the community, we continue to make strides in providing the research and education community with the best options for implementing cloud services. Since our last update, two important initiatives have come to fruition.
First, earlier this week, we were pleased to announce that the Internet2 NET+ AWS Agreement is now available for NIH award recipients to utilize the STRIDES Initiative. Efforts to provide NET+ AWS subscribers with access to the NIH STRIDES Initiative were community-driven. Read more about this groundbreaking development.
Second, last month we launched the pilot phase of the ServiceNow and Canvas Institutional Profile projects. These pilots facilitate the gathering and sharing of service-specific profiles from the community to further institutional collaboration and implementation of best practices around cloud services in use at peer institutions. Learn more about the pilots.
Cloud Awards and Accolades
Last month Bob Flynn, program manager of cloud infrastructure and platform services at Internet2, received the 2021 Lifetime Achievement Cloud Leadership Award from E&I Cooperative Services. Bob was recognized for his ongoing commitment to improving technology’s effectiveness across the higher education cloud community. He brings this same commitment to managing the NET+ AWS service. Read more about the recognition he received.
Internet2 Cloud Scorecard Rollout Continues
The Internet2 Cloud Scorecard is available to help research and education institutions streamline service assessment and procurement from companies offering cloud services, all while ensuring security and compliance. We have updated the landing page for easier reference and continuously add services. Check it out here or reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you have feedback or would like to learn more about listing services for the community.
NET+ Service Updates
- NET+ AWS: In honor of Earth Day, we turn our attention to the environment. Digital Transformation can drive improved student outcomes, speed time to science, and increase agility within higher education institutions. Higher education leadership, responding to student and faculty demands, look to incorporate sustainability goals and practices into the university experience. Join us for a NET+ AWS Townhall on April 20 at 2 p.m. ET where we’ll talk about sustainability transformation, how it’s being approached at Amazon and AWS, and actions higher education customers can take to incorporate sustainability into their digital transformation efforts.
- NET+ DocuSign: When digitizing your university’s paperwork processes, the options are unlimited. So are the benefits: saving time, redirecting resources toward more complex tasks, boosting security and data privacy, and improving the student and faculty experience, to name a few. Join us for a webinar on May 3 at 1 p.m. ET to learn how the University of Pittsburgh and Virginia Commonwealth University are leveraging DocuSign eSignature to digitize paperwork.
- NET+ Duo: The security community is preparing to implement Universal Prompt.
- NET+ Google Workspace for Education: Google Workspace for Education storage policy changes are being implemented this year. View our FAQ or reach out to us if you would like to take advantage of the NET+ Google Workspace for Education offering or have questions.
- NET+ LastPass: Learn more about new features and functionality now available. You can also learn more about the NET+ LastPass program from a recent EDUCAUSE member QuickTalk.
- NET+Zoom: Zoom Phone is now available as a part of the NET+ Zoom contract. Learn more by contacting us.
Get the CIO Perspective on Identity and Access Management
Check out the recording from InCommon’s most recent IAM Online webinar, “When Innovation Meets Experience: The CIO Perspective on IAM,” when CIOs Bernard Gulachek, University of Minnesota, and Dave Robinson, Grinnell College, discussed how their IAM journey started, innovative solutions implemented by their teams, and what the future holds in the realm of identity.
Keep Up With NET+
- Read the latest news.
- Check out our NET+ wiki.
- Catch up on any I2Online event recordings at any time.
As always, we welcome your ideas and appreciate your contributions to NET+ programs! Reach us at email@example.com.
Catching Up on the Cloud is a new feature that replaces the NET+ quarterly update to bring you all the latest Internet2 cloud updates. Whether you’re supporting the academic enterprise, research domain, or anything in between, these timely announcements and updates will help you with the best solutions for implementing cloud services at your institution.