Special Interest Group (SIG) on Emerging National Research and Education Networks
Our mission: to bring together the international community to address advancing the state of high-performance networking for research and education in underserved places around the world.
This Internet2 SIG provides a forum for:
- Sharing information about current initiatives and facilities/data/researchers that need to be reached
- Sharing challenges, opportunities and successes among both emerging and established NRENs
- Discussing possible roles for the Internet2 community
Participants are encouraged to share challenges, ideas, opportunities and successful case studies based on their own experiences on the NREN SIG collaboration site.
Regional Interest Groups
The SIG has spun off a small number of regional interest groups which have formed where a group of individuals are interested in pursuing information about opportunities in specific regions. These groups convene at Internet2 member meetings to exchange information and catch up on current happenings in the region. Currently, there are four active regional interest groups:
- Caribbean Interest Group: Lead by Heidi Alvarez, Florida International University
- South Asia Interest Group: Lead by Jim Williams, Indiana University
- Middle East Interest Group: Lead by Johnathon Chapman, Georgetown University - Qatar
- Africa Interest Group: Lead by Greg Palmer, MAGPI
- The Role of National Research and Education Networks (NRENs)
- Global Development Learning Network (GDLN)
- TERENA Compendium
- APAN Compendium
- Seeking U.S-African Collaborations and Projects that Would Benefit from Expanded Bandwidth to Africa
SIG Mailing Lists
- the main Emerging NREN SIG email list. Click here to subscribe.
- the Africa Interest Mailing Group. Click here to subscribe.
- the Caribbean Interest Mailing Group. Click here to subscribe.
- the Central Asia Interest Mailing Group. Click here to subscribe.
- the Middle East Interest Mailing Group. Click here to subscribe.